Monday, April 14, 2008

My Big Fat Greek Baby Shower

The past two years I have had the opportunity to see what real culture truly is. It's so refreshing to see that people do keep culture and heritage a part of their families and traditions. Chicago is full of diversity and people who are proud of who they are.
This past weekend I went to a baby shower for a friend of mine who is Greek. She's not the kind of Greek that people are in Seattle where they mention it, but rather she wears it on her sleeve. Her family all speaks Greek. They attend a Greek Orthodox church, and everyone is named, Nicki, Nico, George, Georgina or Gina.
So- she invited me to her baby shower and it was held at her family's Greek restaurant (I'm not kidding- just like the movie!) Everyone knew everyone and if by chance they werent' related, they had attended Greek school together as kids. It was the funnest shower!
So I got to thinking- what is my culture? What sort of heritage or traditions am I going to be sending down to Jackson, besides the occasional Sunday meal at O.C.B. (Old Country Buffet) with my family? Will I make meals that make him feel comforted? Will I have an accent that only he will hear? Will Matt and I share with him things that are special to us? Will they be special to him? So- that's what I've been thinking about the past couple of days. Jackson will be here soon (Lord willing) and I can't wait to show him what I cherish so much about life.

No comments: