Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mama Always Told Me There'd Be Days Like This...


I'm not sure at what point in our young lives we start making memories that are imprinted upon us, ones we can search for in the back of our minds and pull out for future references that is. I do know that one of my earliest memories was when I was 3 or 4 years old and I woke up in the middle of the night, being cradled in my mother's arms as she rocked me in our old rocking-chair. I do not remember her shortness with me earlier in the day, or her harsh words, or what I had done to irritate her in the first place, or even what consequence I endured later, but I vividly remember her tears and her asking me for forgiveness. I remember my mother teaching me humility and it was one of the most valuable lessons I ever learned to this date. During my school-aged days I could never hold a grudge for very long and my parents would sometimes become frustrated because I would let the same friends hurt me over and over again, but I always forgave. Perhaps it was my desire to "...turn the other cheek," Matthew 5:39, but I truly believe it was because my mother taught me the importance of forgiving and asking for forgiveness. You see, when you ask someone else for forgiveness, you are the one being set free.
We are currently learning the lessons of humility and forgiveness in the Rife household. My son can be the most irritating little creature God ever blessed me with, at times. He constantly nags, cries, whines, manipulates, pouts and throws tantrums that are overly-dramatic and more for show than anything else, and for all of these reasons and more I can become irritated with him. I sometimes speak harshly, or shamefully roll my eyes at his wild antics, but I learned early on to ask for forgiveness, and so I ask for his almost daily. It is extremely humbling to ask a two-year-old for forgiveness for your own childish ways, but it is oh so rewarding to hear a sweet voice from the backseat of the car say, "I fo fowwy mommy." on his own accord after throwing his fruit-snacks at you. At two years old he has already found freedom in forgiveness, and at thirty years old, I am still learning the power in it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hschween said...

Very sweet thoughts, Nicole :) You are such a good Mama, even on the bad days (I know how frustrating toddlers are sometimes!!!), Jackson is blessed to have you as his mom!